Because I’m a huge music / stats nerd, I like to share my song choices from each year. It’s mostly for me to be able to look back and say “when did I use that song”? , but maybe someone will enjoy it too.
(Here’s 2013’s music list if you’re curious… and 2012… and 2011)
Our first half of our recital had a theme which was “dance inspired by literature or literary themes”, so you may notice that some of my songs are related to books.
Links open in iTunes, unless otherwise noted 🙂
- A Little Party – Fergie: Senior large group tap, called this “At The Ball” and had the girls dress up in fancy dresses, gloves and masks as if they were at a ball out of a fairytale.
- Talk Nerdy To Me – The girls titled this dance! We mixed together three songs for this “nerd” dance: Cool Jerk, I Wish (Skee-Lo), and Boom! Shake the Room (whattup Fresh Prince!?). This was a lot of fun to put together…:P
- Royal Rebellion – another WAY overused song, but I mixed Royals (Lorde) with the instrumental half of Emily Well’s Symphony 2 and the Click Boom Boom (to attempt some originality) for a large group contemporary, ages 15-18
- Medicine – Daughter: large group contemporary, ages 15-18
- Youth – Daughter: senior contemporary duet, age 17
- Roar – cover by Tori Kelly & Scott Hoying: Tap solo, age 17 (YouTube link)
- Miss Otis Regrets – Bette Midler: Musical Theater Tap solo, age 14
- Eet – Regina Spektor: Contemporary solo, age 16 – can’t pass up a year without using a Regina Spektor song!
- Crazy In Love – The Puppini Sisters: Small group tap, ages 13-15
- My Anthem – Christina Grimmie: Tap solo, age 11
- Wings – Little Mix: SO overplayed at competitions, but my kids loved this one. In hindsight, I wish I hadn’t picked such a popular song. Small group tap, ages 11-13
- Torn – Nathan Lanier: small group modern, ages 9-11
- The Gravel Road – James Newton Howard: Large group ballet, ages 9-12. Theme was “The Giving Tree”, costumed half as trees and half as children
|“I’m Late” – white rabbit tap solo
Loved this one!
- I’m Late – Mary Martin: Tap solo, age 9, costumed as white rabbit
- Mr. Sandman – The Puppini Sisters: Tap trio, age 9
- Jungle Rhythm – The Jungle Book 2: Large group tap, age 5-6
- What’s New At The Zoo – Do Re Mi Soundtrack: Large group jazz, ages 5-6, hilarious song, costumed as different zoo animals. I only wish I had a little boy to costume as a zoo keeper
- Technologic – Daft Punk / Happy – C2C – Large group tap, ages 6-9. Entitled “Cookies”, they used Girl Scout cookie box props.
- Wizard Wheezes – Harry Potter soundtrack: large group tap, ages 7-10, called this “It’s A Mystery” and we used magnifying glasses – theme was supposed to be mystery books
- Hawaii 5-0 Mix – JiveBunny / Wipe Out – Surfaris: Large group jazz, ages 7-10. Used beach props (towels, beach ball, surf board)
- Define Dancing – WALL•E: Large group ballet, used for ages 6-8 and 7-10, entitled it “The Jellyfish Ballet” and used umbrella props
Can I get a show of hands for who used an “over popular” song this year and regretted it? What was your favorite song to choreograph to this year? Comment below.