Our most asked camp question since last December has been “Are you doing a Frozen Camp?” So due to popular demand… a Frozen (inspired) Camp is what we did!
Each year we do a different theme and base the week’s lessons around that theme. We hold an impromptu little “show” on the last day of camp for family and friends.
We did the Frozen (inspired) Camp for our Princess age group (ages 4-7) at the end of June, and we actually had to close off registration a week prior because of the demand! (For comparison, our July Princess Camp was half as full as the Frozen Camp was).
I’m going to break up the posts into a few different sections, and hopefully they will give you some ideas for your own camp.
General Camp Agenda
8:50-9:05am – Parent Drop-off and Student Sign-in
9:05-9:30am – Warm-up and “Get to know you” activities – I like doing the Name Game as an icebreaker
9:30-10:00am – Ballet Dance class (learning choreography / technique)
10:00-10:45am – Craft Time
10:45-11:00am – Snack Time
11:00-11:40am – Tap class (learning choreography / technique)
11:40-12:00pm – Games / Cool-down
Dance Camp Playlist
All links open in iTunes – the Dance Buzz is an iTunes affiliate
I know you will all be surprised when I tell you that the most used album during our Frozen-Inspired Camp was… the Frozen album. Shocking, I know! But we also used a few other non-Frozen songs during our camp so that we (the teachers) didn’t go crazy from having songs stuck our head all day!
Songs We Used for Choreography
- Let It Go – Idina Menzel – for a ballet / lyrical
- Love Is an Open Door – Kristen Bell – for jazz
- For the First Time in Forever – for lyrical / sing along
- In Summer – Josh Gad – for tap
- Fixer Upper – Frozen – for tap
Songs We Used in Class (for creative movement, games, and technique)
- Winter’s Waltz – Frozen good for across the floor in ballet
- Ice Dance – Edward Scissorhands – creative movement and free-dance
- Let It Go / Vivaldi’s Winter – The Piano Guys – good one for dramatic dancing, freeze dance
- Waltz of the Snowflakes – The Nutcracker
- Love Is an Open Door (Instrumental Karaoke version) – good for pass the beanbag, or warm-ups
What non-Frozen songs can you think of that would fit in well?