Kind of loving this post at These Are The Lives We Lead about dance etiquette. My favorite parts:
- “NEVER mark. Why pay for a class and mark until you get into groups? Groups occur for MAYBE 10 minutes. Most of which you’ll spend trying to figure out the parts you’ve been marking.”
- “Touching your toes and sitting in a grande plie 2nd for a minute does not a sufficient warm up make.”
- “Be hungry to know everyTHING about your art; ESPECIALLY its history. you would not be here without those that came before you.”
- “If you don’t make the youtube video, don’t get the job, or don’t get called out for the “special” group; it doesn’t mean you stop coming to class. In fact, the very opposite. You KEEP SHOWING UP. perseverance and SHOWING UP is often how a job is booked.”
- “.. know that dance does not come over night. Or over months. Or even years. It happens throughout a LIFETIME process that is to be adored despite struggle. Love every second of it for genuine reason and you will probably find yourself doing all this naturally.”
I wish all of my students read and understood this. Good advice for getting the most out of your classes!