Recital season is upon us in the US, and with it comes lots of parents and kids who have never done stage hair or make-up before! I used to do demonstrations for some of my classes, but it is difficult to find the time when everyone is available, so I have switched to emailing YouTube links. My students’ parents love it when I point them to a YouTube tutorial – and I have learned a few tricks myself!
Here are some of my favorite tutorials for applying stage make-up and doing hair. And be sure to share your favorite tips and tricks in the comments!
For older students:
From start to finish w/little explanation, just her applying make-up:
More specific tutorials
- Stage Make-up for Male Dancers (in my opinion, a little too detailed for my pre-teen guys, but great for my older competition male dancers)
- Foundation and Blush by Fit For a Feast
- False Eyelashes by Kandee Johnson
- Applying Mascara on Children
More specific tutorials & other information
- Bun for Short Hair (using a “rat” / sock)
- Great info for “Period” and “Character” pieces (scroll down past the videos)
- More info from JAM cosmetics