As I was getting ready to teach class tonight, I thought to myself, I haven’t done a tap playlist in a while… so here you go! Some old tunes, some new tunes, a little bit of everything.
Soft Shoe-type Combinations (laid back summer style)
- Ok, It’s Alright With Me – Eric Hutchinson
- I’m Yours – Jason Mraz
- Better Together – Jack Johnson
Fast Jazz & Big Band
- My Feet Can’t Fail Me Now – Dirty Dozen Brass Band
- Swing Set – Jurassic 5
- Life Goes To A Party – Benny Goodman
- Shame, Shame, Shame – Roomful of Blues
Do you have a student who can't keep his or her feet from flying? Try these super-quick songs:
- "Airmail Special" (Nikki Yanofsky)
- "Bumble Boogie" (Freddie Martin)
More Jazz Tunes
- "Frim Fram Sauce" (Diana Krall) – A great soft shoe song – Diana Krall's voice and the slow jazz music are perfectly suited for some tapping on top. Just make sure your soloist has the stage presence to pull off this slower number.
- "This Can't Be Love" (Stacey Kent) – Enjoy Diana Krall? Check out Stacey Kent for some other lovely tappable female jazz vocals.
- "Steppin' Out" (Tony Bennett) – perfect for a male tap solo
Fresh Tap Music
Read more »
Short music post today – just wanted to share three songs I’ve been loving lately!
Titanium (David Guetta feat. Sia) – My go-to warm up songs for my older students. I’ve been using this in tap and jazz classes as it has a nice steady beat and hasn’t been overplayed on the radio yet.
Timshel (Mumford & Sons) – This is a hauntingly beautiful piece that I’ve been using in my lyrical/contemporary classes. Easy to put emotion into it.
I’m In Here Piano/Vocal Version (Sia) – I can’t help it – I love Sia’s voice. You might recognize her from “Breathe Me” a few years ago. I just love the different sound she has. I’ve been using this song in lyrical and jazz class for a cool down.
Now that the studio is open and I’m getting back into the swing of things, I updated some of my playlists for class and wanted to share my favorite new songs with you! Most of these are from the Top 40 and some are old favorites, but hopefully they might inspire you or give you something new for the season!
Not offered on iTunes:
Pumped Up Kicks (RLYNX Remix) – Foster The People
Party On The Floor – DJ Earworm Remix – check out his other remixes too!
I was so excited to try out my new Tempo Magic Pro app last week at our dance intensive tap classes (see previous post here). I will admit that every time I see it on my iPhone screen I cannot resist the urge to say "tempo MAGIC" while wiggling my jazz hands with a magician-like flair. Try it with me now… tempo MAAAAGIC!
The app is pretty straight forward. The first thing you have to do is add the songs you want to slow down. Tap the playlist button.
Read more »
Just read Morris Partee’s post over at Dance Advantage on this awesome new app for changing the tempo of your music: Tempo Magic Pro
This app allows you to adjust your song tempos on your iPhone or iPod touch. As a tap teacher, I am so excited about using this app in class! Our sound system currently has tempo-changing CD players, so I used to burn my music to a CD and then use the CD player to playback with different tempos. I am hoping this app will change my life.. hah! I am teaching this week at our summer camp intensive, so I will report back with results.
…off to go play with my iPhone now!
If you’re also an iPhone addict, you might also like to check out this post on two free iPhone apps that I use as a dance teacher.
Just wanted to jot down my song list from this past year for posterity! (Or so I can look it up at a later time when I can’t remember what that song was I used way back when…)
All links open in iTunes, unless otherwise noted
- Ruby Blue – Roisin Murphy: Large group jazz, ages 14-18
- Firework (cover) – Sunny Choi: Small group ballet, ages 13-15 (YouTube link)
- Crabbuckit – K-OS / Tightrope – Janelle Monae: Large group tap, age 14-17
- Who’s To Say – Vanessa Carlton: Large group lyrical, age 12-14
- Live It Up – Group 1 Crew: Large group jazz, ages 11-13
- Honky Tonk Badonkadonk – Trace Adkins: Large group tap, ages 11-13, dressed up as old people…it’s better if you don’t ask
- Sister Kate – The Ditty Bops: Small group tap, ages 10-12
- Boogie Shoes – KC & The Sunshine Band: Small group jazz, ages 8-10, with red sequin sneakers of course!
- Waka Waka – Shakira: Large group modern, ages 6-9
- Ma Belle Evangeline – Princess & Frog: Large group ballet, ages 6-8
- Happy Feet – Joanie Bartels: Small group tap, ages 6-7
- Funkytown – The Chipmunks: Large group jazz, ages 6-7
- Trickle Trickle – The Manhattan Transfer: Large group tap, ages 6-7
- Animal Crackers In My Soup – Shirley Temple: Small group tap, ages 4-5
- Gravity – Sara Bareilles: Contemporary solo, age 18
- Bubbly – Colbie Caillat: Tap solo, age 17
- Stuck Like Glue – Sugarland: Tap solo, age 16
- I Want You Back – Colbie Caillat: Tap solo, age 15 (YouTube link)
And my favorite dance for the year: